China’s ‘99%’ are also in revolt against attempts by the ruling class in the Communist Party to enrich a few at the top of the country at the expense of the majority of Chinese workers and farmers.
We are truly witnessing a global revolt underway, pitting the world’s working-class majority against the tiny minority of exploiters and oppressors who control the vast bulk of the world’s wealth and political power.
The rebel Chinese village of Wukan, which has driven out the Communist party and is now under police siege, has enough food to hold out for ten more days, according to villagers.
Wukan has been encircled by a police cordon since Sunday, after an attempt by 1,000 armed officers failed to capture the village. No food or water is allowed in, and no villagers are allowed out.
Trouble in Wukan has been brewing since September, after the village revolted at an attempt to take one of its last parcels of farmland and give it to a major Chinese property developer, Country Garden.
However it was the death of 43-year-old Xue Jinbo, one of the village’s 13 temporary representatives, in police custody that pushed Wukan into its current fury, and saw the last of the village’s dozen Communist party officials flee. His family believe he was murdered.
… The gap between the rich and poor in the village has also upset many, with at least a hundred families, including those of the former party secretary and village finance chief, living in palatial three and four storey mansions, all built on farmland. On Wednesday, almost all the rich families had also retreated out of the village, while the ones who remained refused to comment on the protests, shut in behind high walls and strong steel gates.
So far, the police have not made any further attempts to retake Wukan, and the village’s temporary leadership said negotiations with the government are now under way.
- ancientrelic likes this
- billlyyy likes this
- thefistofartemis reblogged this from socialismartnature
- thebrocklee reblogged this from socialismartnature
- rawgothinsurrection likes this
- littlethousand likes this
- freedomnotfound likes this
- hairyprincess reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- createdfromthought reblogged this from sinidentidades
- riotboi likes this
- sinidentidades reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- weareclosedgtfo reblogged this from socialuprooting
- weareclosedgtfo likes this
- elfboi reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- charmingsideofdrunk likes this
- seriiously likes this
- sinidentidades likes this
- elodiedreams likes this
- quantumscoot likes this
- mastermalpass reblogged this from acid-and-anatomy and added:
- armchairsoapbox reblogged this from socialismartnature
- amodernmanifesto reblogged this from joshisonlinesometimes
- amodernmanifesto likes this
- pressdonotswallow likes this
- vivezvotreverite reblogged this from socialismartnature
- joshisonlinesometimes reblogged this from socialuprooting
- maggotmaster reblogged this from natellite and added:
- pinstripehourglass reblogged this from natellite
- natellite reblogged this from emmydiocracy
- dirtysquatter reblogged this from socialuprooting
- emmydiocracy reblogged this from socialuprooting
- emmydiocracy likes this
- pastorerickson likes this
- grrwtfman reblogged this from yrmomschesthair and added:
- valterbenyamin reblogged this from socialismartnature
- akayra reblogged this from socialuprooting
- newsandtrade reblogged this from socialuprooting
- acid-and-anatomy reblogged this from socialuprooting
- acid-and-anatomy likes this
- pansmanifesto likes this
- yrmomschesthair reblogged this from socialismartnature
- ordream reblogged this from socialismartnature
- occupywallstreetposters reblogged this from littlegrenades
- thephrygiancap likes this
- tentativetillfurthernotice likes this
- guitarstheband likes this
- lucas-veg reblogged this from proletarianinstinct
- iluminense reblogged this from socialuprooting and added:
- msambivalence likes this
- littlegrenades reblogged this from socialismartnature