Obama does the USA PATRIOT Act one better. This is a disaster. Obama will sign in to law a bill allowing for the indefinite military detention of American citizens. The era of ‘disappearances’, as seen in Stalinist Russia or Pinochet’s Chile, are coming home to the U.S.
Lesson #1: Never trust a politician! Especially if they belong to either of America’s two longstanding electoral parties (the Democrats and Republicans) — the Parties of slavery, Jim Crow, nuclear bombs, world wars, sexism, and generally serving the interests of the rich and powerful.
This is why I didn’t vote for Obama in 2008, and why I will not vote for him in 2012.
The President will not veto the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) over provisions codifying the use of indefinite military detention on American soil.
As I reported Tuesday, the latest version of the NDAA effectively rendered the provisions “mandating” military custody of non-citizen terrorism suspects arrested on US soil optional. The revised NDAA would make it possible for someone like convicted underwear bomber Umar Abdulmutallab to go from capture to trial without ever passing through military custody.
The changes were apparently enough to get the White House to back down from its veto threat, notwithstanding FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III’s testimony Wednesday that the bill could still interfere with counterterrorism operations.
… The administration had said that the military detention provisions of an earlier version of the NDAA were “inconsistent with the fundamental American principle that our military does not patrol our streets.”
The revised NDAA is still inconsistent with that fundamental American principle. But the administration has decided that fundamental American principles aren’t actually worth vetoing the bill over.
- ancientcity reblogged this from socialismartnature
- fits00z reblogged this from vivreenverite
- vivreenverite reblogged this from socialismartnature
- littlethousand reblogged this from socialismartnature and added:
- littlethousand likes this
- akaihanabi said: Gosh don’t vote at all then. If you can only pick between two parties don’t even bother, your system is completely flawed.
- classtruggle reblogged this from socialismartnature and added:
- purpleishboots likes this
- gracefree reblogged this from socialismartnature
- stardustpaste reblogged this from socialismartnature and added:
- theoretical-axioms reblogged this from socialismartnature
- theoretical-axioms likes this
- sinidentidades reblogged this from socialismartnature
- ataxiwardance likes this
- brittanyyykay reblogged this from socialismartnature