ATMORE, Ala. (WPMI) - An Escambia Academy High School student said she was denied a diploma and fined $1,000 for wearing an eagle feather at her graduation.
For 17-year-old Chelsey Ramer, graduating on May 23 was supposed to be a joyous occasion.
"I was excited," said Ramer.
It has been more than a week, and she still does not have her diploma. She said it is all because of her feather.
"They told me that if I wore it that they would pull me off the field," said Ramer.
The eagle feather is part of her Native American Heritage. Ramer is of the Poarch Creek Band of Indians. She wanted to wear the feather as a show of pride for her heritage.
"Being honored with a feather for graduation is a wonderful experience. It’s a lot more than showing off your culture. It has ties into our spirituality as well," Ramer’s former teacher Alex Alvarez.
According to a school contract, Ramer must pay a $1,000 fine to get her diploma and transcripts.
"I don’t think it’s fair at all. I feel like its discrimination," Ramer stated.
The contract states, “Students and staff shall not wear extraneous items during graduation exercises unless approved by the administration.”
Ramer stated she asked the Headmaster at the time for permission to wear the eagle feather.
"She told us we could not wear our feathers," said Ramer.
Shortly after inquiring, Ramer said she was told she must sign the dress code contract to walk on graduation.
Ramer stated, “I never signed it,”
Instead, she still walked across the stage proudly with her feathers and family’s support.
"It was worth it. It means a lot to me," said Ramer.
- kathyaeuc likes this
- outstanding-writing-help likes this
- house-of-mars-333 reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- house-of-mars-333 likes this
- blackbirdsonmyback reblogged this from gl360
- lyfestile likes this
- gl360 reblogged this from fearfullymade-locs
- politiciansoc reblogged this from socialismartnature
- bombachasdealgodon likes this
- fraisealacreme reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- kmanovaere likes this
- noranyother likes this
- loopez likes this
- hola-soymilk reblogged this from marchoftigers
- doubleconcentratedtomatopaste likes this
- bethechange-now reblogged this from stfueverything
- marchoftigers reblogged this from qbits
- savvysouvenirs likes this
- kagome77543 likes this
- femmevanity reblogged this from onlyblackbeauty
- star-trekker reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- shevrolet likes this
- tay-say-que reblogged this from magdolenelives
- lorax-justice reblogged this from oldenough2burmom
- magdolenelives reblogged this from stfueverything and added:
- dangerzonechelsea likes this
- andonedayshewillexplode reblogged this from orobolicious
- rebuildingtrantor reblogged this from stfueverything
- the-real-jan-brady reblogged this from etherealxeyes
- mrhewlett likes this
- adisplayofcharacter reblogged this from thecouragetofeel
- please-donuthurtme reblogged this from toiletllama
- buttsandbeets reblogged this from fatquean
- disconymph likes this
- theweirdgirlwiththefandoms reblogged this from theheartofatrickster
- theweirdgirlwiththefandoms likes this
- chemman9 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- pimpkage likes this
- phlegm-fetale reblogged this from badhouses
- thecouragetofeel reblogged this from itsramez
- toiletllama reblogged this from badhouses
- toiletllama likes this
- bruisebruises likes this
- badhouses reblogged this from orobolicious
- queen-nuba reblogged this from orobolicious
- sancty likes this
- orobolicious reblogged this from etherealxeyes
- orobolicious likes this