The New York Police Department’s Warrant Squad is wearing T-shirts (pictured above) comparing what they do to hunting animals.reports.
THE NEW York City Police Department has long been accused of treating many city residents as subhuman. Now some of its officers seem determined to prove their critics right.
Last week, members of the city’s Warrant Squad, assigned to find people with outstanding warrants and bring them to court, were spotted wearing T-shirts that compared their job to hunting animals. The photo (above) was sent to SocialistWorker.org by someone who works in the court system. As the photo shows, on the back of the officer’s shirt is a quote from Ernest Hemingway:
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
What you can’t see is that the front of the T-shirt has the words “Fugitive Enforcement NYPD,” and what appears to be an official department insignia.
New York City just finished defending itself in a trial over its “stop-and-frisk” policy, under which hundreds of thousands of young people are detained, interrogated and often searched each year, for no reason other than the color of their skin in most cases.
Many observers expect the courts to rule against city, and the U.S. Justice Department recently announced its interest in assigning a federal monitor to oversee the department. At a time when his department is under so much scrutiny, it’s incredible that police commissioner Ray Kelly would allow officers to wear such offensive T-shirts on the job.
The Warrant Squad operates without much publicity, but the few stories in the media have been fawning portraits of these cops as action heroes. “They are an elite team of parole officers whose job every day is to track down fugitive felons on the run,” began one recent story from WABC’s Eyewitness News. “They operate in a world of urgent whispers and silent signals, because every sound and every movement could be the difference between life and death.”
Judging by these T-shirts, Warrant Squad officers view themselves in the same way. In reality, they spend most of their time dealing with poor people accused of non-violent violations, misdemeanors and felonies—who comprise the vast majority of New Yorkers who get caught up in the criminal justice system.
In fact, the officer in this photo was taking a woman into Queens misdemeanor court when the picture was taken. So much for the glory of “the hunt.”
But the dehumanizing attitude displayed by these T-shirts is no laughing matter. A few years ago, the city settled a lawsuit in which the Warrant Squad was accused of breaking down a Queens grandmother’s door, falsely accusing her grandson of murder and then beating him up. The officers let their dog bite him and threatened to run him “against a fence in a maneuver known as the ‘cheese grater.’”
One of those officers, Hassan Hamdy, went on last year to shoot and kill unarmed Noel Polanco on a Queens highway after Polanco allegedly cut off the Hamdy’s police van.
"The [Hemingway] quote for me signifies a mentality that has been reserved for hunting animals," said Lawrence Hayes, a former Black Panther and longtime community activist. "It has no place in a police force with the duty of protecting citizens. The Warrant Squad should be disbanded and Ray Kelly dismissed for allowing this mentality to infest New York City’s police force."
- antiguansunshine likes this
- rainbowglittersocks likes this
- estrelladelmar reblogged this from socialismartnature
- halcy0--n reblogged this from socialismartnature
- classytrashcan likes this
- herdirtylittleheart likes this
- turning-back-into-soil likes this
- femmeandfists reblogged this from mpdgorgon-archive
- garyfromteenmom likes this
- uggh-in-c-minor reblogged this from mpdgorgon-archive
- bluecollecter likes this
- mpdgorgon-archive reblogged this from butt-punx
- butt-punx reblogged this from edithwhartonwantsyourshoes
- doctorcrazygirlchic reblogged this from tronlives
- doctorcrazygirlchic likes this
- tronlives reblogged this from socialismartnature
- turquoisetogepi likes this
- colibriverde reblogged this from tortasahogadas
- colibriverde likes this
- r-keane likes this
- enemy0gene reblogged this from tortasahogadas
- tortasahogadas reblogged this from xpinchemalinchex
- 21stcenturyhooliganism reblogged this from socialismartnature
- aka14kgold reblogged this from socialismartnature
- hereitsallalright likes this
- wolvensnothere reblogged this from teratocybernetics
- teratocybernetics reblogged this from idlnmclean
- idlnmclean reblogged this from socialismartnature
- meshesofmymadrigal reblogged this from socialismartnature
- erisandkallisti likes this
- anarchyrosegarden reblogged this from ragemovement
- anarchyrosegarden likes this
- k11141 reblogged this from supersailormarx
- punk-among-hicks reblogged this from ragemovement
- misterswink reblogged this from daxxxx
- corpsazorsomething reblogged this from socialismartnature
- walkingsaladshooterfromheaven reblogged this from edithwhartonwantsyourshoes
- khutuluns-bow reblogged this from socialismartnature and added:
- khutuluns-bow likes this
- fruta-fresca likes this
- cosmopolitan-kramer likes this
- eversoeverything likes this
- amorybem reblogged this from socialismartnature
- maximummuskeg reblogged this from daxxxx
- likeanoceanoftime reblogged this from socialismartnature and added:
- diasoleado reblogged this from socialismartnature
- myfishdreamisasexdream reblogged this from socialismartnature
- daxxxx reblogged this from ragemovement and added:
- originalhohohoster reblogged this from socialismartnature
- onlyslightly likes this